Where is the farm?
- First Fruits Farm HQ is located at 2025 Freeland Road in Freeland, Maryland. Find directions here.
- Our fields are located in six different parts of Northern Baltimore County, so your harvest experience might not be at HQ. If we need you in one of our satellite fields, we will let you know as soon as possible.
When can I come volunteer?
- All of our open volunteer sessions are posted on our volunteer sign up calendar.
- We like to work early to avoid the heat of the day, especially in the summer months. A typical time frame to volunteer with us is 8:30 am-11:30 am (any day but Sunday). We are also able to accommodate some late afternoon/early evening groups during the summer.
How do I sign up?
- Choose a date from our online volunteer sign up calendar. Follow our simple sign up process and you'll be added to our volunteer schedule!
- If you are signing up yourself or your family, you will complete our liability waiver as part of the registration process.
- If you are a Group Coordinator, you will receive an email with a special link to our liability waiver. Forward this link to everyone in your group so that they can complete their own waiver in advance. Last minute additions to your group may sign a waiver on site, but we ask that you try to get all waivers completed before arrival.
- Everyone who signs up to volunteer will receive a confirmation email and a reminder email with details about your volunteer day.
How should I prepare for volunteering?
- Please have your cell phone handy as your volunteer day approaches. We may call the number you provided to let you know of any location updates (there are six different locations of the farm!) If you do not hear anything different, plan on reporting to HQ (2025 Freeland Road in Freeland, Maryland).
- Each participant should complete their signed liability waiver online before arrival. Dress for the weather, expecting to get dirty. No sandals or flip flops. We provide gloves, drinking water, and on-the-job training.
- We like to work early to avoid the heat of the day, especially in the summer months. A typical time frame to volunteer with us is 8:30 am-11:30 am (any day but Sunday). We are also able to accommodate some late afternoon/early evening groups during the summer. In September/October/November, we are able to schedule harvest activities during the 1-4 pm time frame, including Sundays. Our volunteer calendar will have a list of all available volunteer times.
What if I can't arrive exactly on time or have to leave early?
- We recognize some volunteers travel a distance and will not be able to arrive for early morning harvest activity. You are welcome to join us at any time during the morning hours. When you register to volunteer, you'll be able to indicate your ETA so that we can plan accordingly.
What should I bring?
- Please make sure that you are dressed appropriately (no sandals or flip flops) and bring a servant's heart! No experience is necessary - every helper is a blessing. We'll be having fun and working hard.
Where does the food go after we harvest it?
- We distribute the harvest to dozens of soup kitchens, homeless shelters and food pantries (among other places) in this region. We like to see the food go to as many people in need as possible. See our list of distribution partners here.
- If you would like to help us expand our distribution, feel free to take some of the harvest to a pantry or shelter in your community. Just let us know how much of the harvest you are taking and where you are taking it when you leave the field.
- Especially when young people are involved in the harvest, we encourage taking some of the harvest to a local pantry or shelter to "close the loop" on the experience of helping to feed the hungry.
Can my children come?
- All ages are welcome, as long as they are adequately supervised. Little ones do not tend to stay on task for very long, but we would love for them to come to the Farm.
What will we be harvesting?
- Depends on the weather, how many volunteers we have that day, and what's in season! There are many variables that factor in to what - and where - we harvest on a given day. Thanks for being flexible! Here's a list of what we harvest throughout the year:
Do I have to know how to farm?
- All you need is a willing heart - we will teach you everything you need to know to help!
When is your season?
- Our harvest activities for large groups begin in Mid-June and run through Mid-November.